Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Service Hours

Every GCE student is required to complete one hundred hours of service work before graduating. In order to complete my hours I worked in the backroom of tasty works, a brokerage firm, in the Fulton Market area of the city. I worked alongside the customer team and did a variety of filing jobs. My biggest and most consistent task was taking piles of customer information and scanning them to an internal database. I needed to learn their scanning and sending systems in order to increase my efficiency. It took me a few times to get settled into my role and feel comfortable. I began my internship just after the company launched in January. My schedule was Tuesday's and Thursday's after school. I would work shifts between four and five hours. These longer time periods allowed me to emulate what the real life workforce feels like. There were times when screams were tossed across the room, phones constantly ringing and then there were times where it was very still. These fluctuations needed to be dealt with. I had a task and I needed to stay on track in order for other people to do their job. There was little room for error or play, It was business all the time. One of the biggest difficulties for me came after I thought I had completed scanning a huge stack of sheets before being told by one of the team members that I had missed a significant section. It was wake up calls like those that kept me on my toes the whole time. I felt integrated into their business and felt like a vital member of the team. The empowered me by giving me a task with real implications. I worked as apart of the customer team from January to May. The experience was tremendously empowering and taught me a lot about the professional world. I was happy to learn a lot of new skills while being helpful to those who needed it. Overall it was a wonderful endeavor accumulating my service hours.

MS, Printer/Scanner, 2017

MS, Office View, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment