Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Health + Wellness

Every GCE student is required to complete one hundred hours of health and wellness. In order to complete my hours and earn my credit I practiced yoga. I knew from the get go that if I was going to be spending a significant portion of time earning my credit I might as well do something I enjoy. Yoga was an activity that I had tried a few times in my younger years. Life creates a lot of internal chaos and yoga acts as a release. I began practicing yoga with a personal instructor in my home at the end of the summer. It was a nice way to regain a sense of being before heading into senior year. I began to really benefit from my sessions so I attempted to do two, one and a half hour sessions, a week. My mind was flowing freely and life was becoming much more enjoyable. The mat would unroll across the wooden floor and I would get into child's pose. This starting point became familiar and comfortable for me. Each session allowed me to move in new ways. I worked hard on continuously stretching myself out in order to be as fluid as possible. I wanted to reduce both the mental and physical rigidity in my life. A major difficulty would often come in the middle of sessions. A wave a sleepiness or a feeling of disengagement would come over me and impact my will to continue. I had to actively work with my mind and body to push through those moments and finish off the sessions. I began my yoga in August and continued in some manner until the end of may. It was one of the most impactful aids for my senior year. Yoga taught me how to be more patient and calm. It allowed me to gain new perspectives on myself as well as the world around me. This health and wellness journey was intense but very worth while.

MS, Home Workout Room, 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment